Nearly 96% of Americans have tooth decay or cavities by the time they reach 65, and at least one-quarter of Americans have dental caries that go undiagnosed or untreated. Depending on several factors, including the severity of the bacteria, a single tooth could require several filling treatments to remove the decay and repair the structure. The majority of Americans have amalgam fillings which are composed of 50% of elemental mercury by weight. Various governmental and health agencies like to claim there are no harmful effects in amalgam but both the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) openly admit there are no safe limits for mercury in any form. Mercury is a neurotoxin which, in various forms, attacks the brain and nervous system. Elemental mercury has been scientifically studied far less than its other forms, but long-term exposure is linked to serious health concerns such as skin rashes, memory problems, lung disease, and organ failure. Opting to change to a mercury-free dental filling can go a long way to regain control of your health. But what are some common ways your amalgams may be poisoning you?
Your Mother Had Amalgams During Your Conception
During pregnancy and conception, anything can pass from the mother to the child. This includes potentially toxic substances such as mercury. Reports on mercury concentration in the cord blood and placenta as well as its effects on fetal measurements and growth potential have been scientifically linked. Opting for non-mercury dental fillings prior to conception can help reduce the health risks to future generations.
You Currently Have Several Silver Fillings
Elemental mercury releases vapors over time. Toxicity can build and lead to health issues, but it usually takes a while. Each person is different regarding bodily response. That’s why some people notice issues within a reasonable amount of time while others may go years without connecting the dots. However, the number of fillings can make a huge difference. A journal called Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety published a report linking significantly higher levels of mercury in the blood in people with more than eight amalgam fillings.
Your Existing Amalgams Are Old
Fillings are strong, but they’re not meant to be permanent fixtures. In other words, eventually, your fillings will need to be replaced. Blame life if you must. Temperature changes in the mouth due to food and beverages can cause the materials to shrink and expand, resulting in the filling becoming loose or falling out entirely. A cracked tooth can allow bacteria to regroup inside the filling. And the filling can change color and consistency due to age. Your amalgams will likely only last a decade before health concerns compound, and by then it’s just common sense to switch to a non-mercury dental fillings.
You’re a Smoker, Drinker, or Have a Bad Diet
Fillings can fail for a variety of reasons, and science has linked many of those failures to vices such as smoking, drinking alcohol, and dietary choices. Some of the reasons rely on common sense, such as the chemicals from cigarettes, the acids from alcohol and certain beverages, and various types of food can break down or pry apart the dental materials. This occurs in both amalgam and composite fillings. However, the difference is mercury-free dental fillings don’t contain the most toxin non-radioactive substance on the planet. Contact your Fort Lauderdale Holistic Dentist to discuss a smarter and safer solution with non-mercury dental fillings.